Civil Engineering is not a popular course of choice due to the software and electronics boom of the past two decades, which has pushed this field into the sidelines. But, with India’s growing economy and lagging infrastructure, it is becoming increasingly evident that India needs skilled, qualified and bright civil engineers like never before.
The foundation for civil engineering lies in the basic sciences – mathematics, physics, and chemistry. A strong foundation in the basic sciences will help students grasp engineering principles and concepts with relative ease. Civil engineering students can specialize in any of the following sub-disciplines during their undergraduate and/or postgraduate studies: environmental engineering, construction engineering, structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, and transportation engineering, to name a few. Since civil engineering is a very broad discipline, students have good opportunities for both higher studies and jobs as well.
Planning new townships and extension of existing towns, building the suitable structures for the rural and urban areas for various utilities, building river navigation and flood control projects, devise systems for control and efficient flow of traffic, providing and maintaining solid and wastewater disposal systems, earthquake resistant design of civil engineering structures and many such more are challenges of job as a civil engineer. Apart from this fast-growing industrialization has put heavy responsibilities on civil engineers to preserve and protect the environment.
The profession demands excellent skills for both administration and supervision of projects. Excellence and responsibility are important factors associated with the job. In other words, whenever you see or read about any popular landmark in the world (iconic works like Golden Gate Bridge, The Gateway of India, Burj Khalifa, etc.), there is a civil engineer involved in its construction.
Civil engineering probably has the maximum slots for a job in governments sectors like IES, PSUs and State public service commissions. Not only in government sectors, private sectors even have more demand for skilled civil engineers. If we talk about research, civil engineering offers a lot to do. Either it is core or interdisciplinary research, civil engineering covers a big domain of research and development field.
Civil engineers typically do the following:
- Analyze survey reports, maps, and other data to plan projects
- Consider construction costs, government regulations, potential environmental hazards, and other factors in planning stages and risk analysis
- Compile and submit permit applications to local, state, and federal agencies verifying that projects comply with various regulations
- Perform or oversee soil testing to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations
- Test building materials, such as concrete, asphalt, or steel, for use in particular projects
- Provide cost estimates for materials, equipment, or labor to determine a project’s economic feasibility
- Use design software to plan and design transportation systems, hydraulic systems, and structures in line with industry and government standards
- Perform or oversee, surveying operations to establish reference points, grades, and elevations to guide construction
- Present their findings to the public on topics such as bid proposals, environmental impact statements, or property descriptions
- Manage the repair, maintenance, and replacement of public and private infrastructure
- Many civil engineers hold supervisory or administrative positions ranging from supervisor of a construction site to city engineer. Others work in design, construction, research, and teaching.
Civil engineers work on complex projects, so they usually specialize in one of several areas.
- Construction engineers manage construction projects, ensuring that they are scheduled and built in accordance with the plans and specifications. They are typically responsible for design and safety of temporary structures used during construction.
- Geotechnical engineers work to make sure that foundations are solid. They focus on how structures built by civil engineers, such as buildings and tunnels, interact with the earth (including soil and rock). In addition, they design and plan for slopes, retaining walls, and tunnels.
- Structural engineers design and assess major projects, such as buildings, bridges, or dams, to ensure their strength and durability.
- Transportation engineers plan, design, operate and maintain everyday systems, such as streets and highways, but they also plan larger projects, such as airports, ports, mass transit systems, and harbors.
The scope of Civil Engineering
When planning to find a career in a conventional and promising branch of engineering, Civil Engineering is one of the most sought-after options among students in India. If you are one of them, the following post offers information about the scope in civil engineering, career prospects, and other career suggestion. Keep reading…Civil engineering is one of the oldest engineering specialisations. Jobs varying from planning, implementation, and designing of a wide range of structural activities are available for civil engineers after graduation.
A career in civil engineering is highly rewarding. There are jobs that involve supervision, construction, design, and analyses of private as well as public projects, such as dams, highways, canals, water sewage and bridges. The profession demands excellent skills for both administration and supervision of projects. Excellence and responsibility are important factors associated with the job. In other words, whenever you see or read about any popular landmark in the world (iconic works like Golden Gate Bridge, The Gateway of India, Burj Khalifa, etc.), there is a civil engineer involved in its construction. Isn’t it interesting!
TERii’s Department of Civil Engineering
The Department of Civil Engineering was established in the year 2011 and has grown over the years into one of the finest centers of training in the field of civil engineering. The Department offers a four-year course leading to the Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering. The undergraduate program in Civil Engineering has been developed to meet the latest requirement of the infrastructural development of our country in areas like Construction, Transportation, Hydropower, and Environmental Engineering. The curriculum has been developed to keep in it more practical and industry oriented with due interrelation with academics. The laboratories are equipped with excellent and advanced equipment and provide all the facilities for advanced research in the field of civil engineering.
Also, the Department is known for its reputed faculty having expertise in diverse fields. It has built up a wide research potential. The faculty of the department continues to strive loftier by exploring new frontiers of knowledge, imparting the latest technical knowledge to the students and conducting high quality of research. The faculty also renders technical advice on live engineering problems to various Government and Private Sector companies throughout the country.
Why TERii for BTech in Civil Engineering?
Every student wishes to pursue their engineering from the best engineering colleges but somehow they forget that most of the colleges are just for the sake of providing education. At TERii, we impart education combined with practical knowledge wherein the students are free to exploit their talent and prepare themselves for the market.
Here are some of the important aspects which every student and their parents think before deciding the institution for their child future studies:
- State of the Art Infrastructure: Built in a lush green land of more than 20 acres, TERii, undoubtedly has one of the most peaceful and optimistic environment for the students to learn. The campus has modern computer labs, fully equipped as well as functional practical workshops along with sports amenities, hostels and cafeteria.
- Placements: TERii is fortunate to have tie-ups with most of the multi-national companies and other associations with which most of our students have their letter of employment with themselves even before they appear for their final year examinations. Companies like Wipro, HCL, IBM and many more have regular placement drive from TERii Campus.
- Knowledge formation by Doing: At TERii, we strongly believe in the culture of doing more than reading in the classrooms. The workshops and laboratories are full with students throughout in order to innovate new ideas, concepts and technologies. The students are even free to use the laboratories and labs till late midnight for completing their research and assignments.
- Lowest Fees Guaranteed: TERii was being formulated with a vision of “Imparting Education to All”. At TERii, we offer programmes like BTech, BBA, MBA and Diploma in Engineering at fees starting from INR 25000 only. The hostels are also affordable wherein the parents need not to worry about their child’s safety and security.
- Scholarships: TERii loves to sponsors the needy as well as meritorious students for their higher studies. Students at TERii are provided with scholarships up to 40% on the basis of their academic results. Apart from this, special preference is also given to the students who desire to study but are not financially equipped.
- Online Grievance Addressal System: TERii’s honorable advisor Dr. M.P. Gupta is always concerned about the issues and problems faced by the students in the institution. He himself manages an online grievance redressal system in which strict actions are taken to resolve the issue at the earliest.
- TERii Parivaar: At TERii, the relationship among the students and the faculty is no less than a family which makes the students comfortable enough to train themselves and climb the ladders of success. Whether it is during the exam time or normal days, the faculty is always available to solve the doubts of the students as well as to talk to them on personal grounds.
A combinational of all these parameters make the student feels comfortable and motivates them to study hard to be the best engineers in the world.
Also, read about our Free Foundation Course at http://terii.in/free-foundation-course-terii-kurukshetra/ offering 15 days all cost inclusive residential course at TERii campus for the students to understand TERii and choose the best for themselves. The college also provides up to 70% scholarships under various schemes.
Registrations for B. Tech., MBA, BBA and Diploma courses are open. One can register themselves at www.terii.in/registration and even register for the Free Foundation Course. One can even reserve a seat by paying a token amount of INR 10,000 and the rest amount can be done after the student joins.
Admission Helpline: +919996783002, +919996783003, +919996783001
Have a look at the placements and infrastructure of the institute and decide the best for you