TERII TALKS BY DR. SANTOSH DAHIYA ON “WOMEN EMPOWERMENT”
“A woman is the full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture and transform. “
“Women Empowerment” refers to empowering women with education, employment, decision making, and better health in view of an equal and just society. Women Empowerment is a process to make the women financially independent, educated and progressive, enjoying a good social status. Women since ages have been struggling to be socially and professionally recognized as equivalent to men. There are many incidents in a woman’s personal and professional life, where her abilities are undermined against that of a man’s; having an adverse effect on her over all personality and hampering her growth.
Why Do We Need Women Empowerment in India?
As we all know that India is a male dominated country where males are dominated in every area and females are forced to be responsible for only family care and live in the home including other many restrictions. Almost 50% of the population in India is covered by the female only so the full development of the country depends on the half population means women, who are not empowered and still restricted by many social taboos. In such condition, we cannot say that our country would be a developed in the future without empowering its half population means women. If we want to make our country a developed country, first of all it is very necessary to empower women by the efforts of men, government, laws and women too.
- Injustice and gender bias and inequalities cannot be removed without women empowerment.
- Women cannot enjoy security and protection in life if they are not empowered.
- It also provides them with a safe working environment.
- Empowerment acts as a powerful tool against exploitation and harassment faced by women
- It provides legal protection for women.
- Women cannot develop their own identity if they are not empowered.
- Women constitute a vast chunk of the world’s population. So if they aren’t employed the global economy will be adversely affected.
- Women need to be provided equal opportunities for work to produce a just and progressive society.
Benefits of Women Empowerment:
- They are able to lead their lives with dignity and freedom.
- It adds to their self-esteem and self-confidence.
- It gives them a distinct identity of their own.
- They are able to gain respectable positions in society.
- As they are financially independent they are able to spend on all their needs and desires and they don’t need to sacrifice or compromise with their needs for others.
- They are able to make meaningful contributions to the well-being of society.
- They act as capable citizens to contribute to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth of the country.
- Country’s resources are fairly and equally accessible to them.
In 2018 January, TERii has started with a Lecture Series – TERii Talks – to bring the best of intellect and experience in the students and well as the faculty.
In the series, Dr. Santosh Dahiya, Rashtrapati Awardee has delivered a talk on the topic “Women Empowerment” on the pre-evening of International Women’s Day. She told that “Women need to be provided equal opportunities for work to produce a progressive society”. She also added that, “If we want to make our country a developed country, first of all it is very necessary to empower women by the efforts of men, government, laws and women too”.
The only way of empowering women is Education.
“Educate a man and you educate an individual. Educate a woman and you educate a family.”
It was an interactive session and students really learnt a lot from it.